Wednesday, October 19, 2011

On Comments


I briefly experimented with the idea of open comments. That is, I do not verify the comments before approving them.  I may not necessarily agree with a wide variety of Christian interpretations out there, but that does not mean that I cannot have an open discourse. 

The only thing that the experiment showed me was that it was a magnet for Anonymous comments. First of all, I do not understand why someone has to to hide behind the Anonymous mask, considering the fact that I am not posting about matters on national security here. Regardless, I ignored and allowed it. As long as the content was relevant to the posts, it did not matter. But what I do not have, is the time or the inclination for plain judgmental negativity.

Case in point. This is the comment that I received from an Anonymous poster for the post on Steve Jobs

"“I wanted my kids to know me. I wasn’t always there for them, and I wanted them to know why…” Steve Jobs

I am sad for Jobs’ children.

And I am equally sad for a nation who praises and glorifies a man simply because he achieved much in the world of business and technology. That’s a polite way to say it, I suppose. Maybe it would be more accurate, or at least more pointed, to say it this way: I am saddened that we worship a man simply because he gave us phones with touch screens.*

How I wish our society honored those men who love their families with a love that is second only to their love for God."

My response to the Anonymous commenter
Someone once said, "Judge not, that you be not judged". He also said, "Love your enemies." I doubt Steve Jobs is your enemy, but still, love others by abiding in Him, even when they don't fit your high standards, because that is exactly what Jesus did for you and I. Without love, we are nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. And there is no love in conditional love. I wish you the very best.


And that concludes my brief experimentation with the 'open comments'.

I will no longer be accepting comments from 'Anonymous' or 'Unknown' either. 

If you are a blogger, how do you handle comments?

No comments: