Thursday, August 11, 2011

Baklava and Faith

When we go through the valley of the shadow of death, we do not often feel Him. As a result, we may have the urge to conclude that he has abandoned us.

How can he abandon us when he said, "I am with you always, even unto the end of the world" ?

But still, we like the confirmation of our senses. And I don't think it is too much to ask for. Joy cannot be theorized

So how do we go about experiencing Him in the middle of the worst storms?

This is where believing His words with a child-like faith come into play. We have to make the decision to take "I am with you always" at face value. 

Believing has nothing to do with feelings. It is a choice that we make. We might not feel a thing initially, but as we take the baby steps with him each day, we get to taste and see that He is good.

Tasting is not a theoretical concept.  

I do not taste baklava by faith. I love that pastry and I long for more. My taste buds can never get enough of it. But if I were new to that pastry, I would have to choose to taste it. But now that I know (not just know about) how baklava tastes, there is no going back. It's too good.

No comments: